This is a traditional dish among the Kelabits. After every hunt come methods of preserving the catch. Electricity is still limited within the villages of Bario , proper refrigeration is still hard to come by. Salt is often use to preserve foods for weeks. Here the practicality of using the pork fat instead of the pork meats comes into play due to the presences of oils. The pork fat not only flavours the rice but also coats the rice with oil preventing it from spoiling.
- 1kg of raw pork fat
- 5 bowls of cooked rice
- 1/3 of a cup of salt (at least) divided into 2 equal portions
- Cut the raw pork fat into tiny cubes, roughly 1.5 cm by 1.5 cm.
- Salt the raw pork fat with one portion of the salt.
- In a large bowl, combined the pork fat and the rice.
- Season the bowl with the rest of the salt.
- Mix until evenly distributed
- Place mixture in a disinfected container / pot with a tight lid
- Allow to mixture to set for at least 1 week
- After a week, remove the lid and serve with side dishes
Notes and tips:
The more salt used for the pork fat the better, this will allow the dish to be kept longer
To disinfect a container or pot :
- Put the pot or container in a tub that allows the pot/ container to be fully submerge
- Pour boiling water over the pot until fully submerged
- Allow it to stand for 10 minutes
- Use directly after
Keep dish in a nice dark cool area away from heat.